What's in Your Management Training - Need Some Suggestions?

Does Your Management Training Include These?
Have you ever wondered, “What are the essential things my management team needs to to know to be competent? Am I providing comprehensive and relevant management training?" In the spirit of helping you make the most of every precious training dollar, I'd like to shorten your learning curve.
As someone who has trained and coached many managers across the country for a number of years, I have compiled a list - my wish list - of what I wish every manager knew. I recommend you use this list as checklist not only to assess your own management competency, but for those in your charge as well. How does it compare to any performance management or appraisal criteria you currently have?

Also, I recommend you use it to educate other key decision-makers in your organization.  Here's why - the absence of knowledge regarding this list leads to many problems that adversely impact a company's bottom line. (I'll write on that later).

Here's the bottom line: your managers directly impact your profits. A manager's behavior is an operational function of a business. You've got to believe that and see that to advocate for the kind of training and development your managers may need!

So, below I've provided a link to the What I Wish Every Manager Knew - My Wish List. It’s a 45 knowledge point list. Of course, this is not all inclusive. This is just my preliminary summary.

Here’s a few from the list:
-Who they are on the inside determines what kind of manager they are on the outside
-Their natural leadership style
-That their relationship with their staff (how they treat people) is the number one influencer in the performance of each team member.
-How people operate
-Natural wiring (personality type)
-How the brain works
-How to nurture problem solving
-How to manage conflict and mediate
-What motivates humans to do or not do(values)
-Emotional maturity matters and is the number 1 reason for disruptive employees – do you know EQ?

I feel so strongly about this that if you need to discuss what's going on in your organization, I'm happy to do so as a fellow colleague at no cost. So, download the list - let me know what you think.

One final note: If you know your managers are not getting the training, help, support that they need, I implore you to be a diligent advocate on their behalf - be their voice to those decision-makers.

What I Wish Every Manager Knew - My Wish List (this link has been updated - apologizes for broken link)

To your success and the success of your organization!
JoAnn

Did you know you can also find this blog on: The APP - The 1% Edge Portable Coach and on Kindle
Do you need management training? Learn about that and my new delivery model option - Facilitated Experiential Learning (tm) Click here to learn more
Follow on Twitter: @joanncorley
Facebook: www.facebook.com/joanncorley.the1percentcoach
Connect on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/joanncorley 
-->

Comments

  1. Hi,

    This sounds really interesting ! I'm curious to read the other elements in your wish list. The problem is that this one doesn't seem to be available online ?

    Maybe it's not the good link ?

    Hope to be able to read it soon ;)
    Emilie Trempe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emilie - thanks for letting me know about link. It's been corrected and I've posted it here as well.
    Best,
    JoAnn

    Wish List - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B02Ox_zYmQi1NXl0M1pwV0hrNDA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for providing that "wish list" link! Thsi time I've got another virtual small business coach through the guidelines that you provided. More power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy it's helpful. Keep me up on your progress!

      Delete
  4. Even if you are to start own business, you should be knowledgeable with Security laws because, yes, it is a very crucial topic in every business firm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard that financial modelling courses in dubai are quite good when it comes to Management trainings. You need this to ensure your company's competency.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those suggestions are indeed a great help for people like us who’s planning a business. We could definitely learn a lot from your wishlist before we rent makati office space for our small business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I bet you need to know about itil incident management. I have studied about it just this year and it is indeed helping big time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not quite familiar what catalogue debt is. Maybe companies should include this since insurance/financial crisis are ocuring unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really could use your comprehensive and relevant management training suggestions! But I do have a question; recently, I’ve read some smart tuition complaints, and it bothered me about the rising fees needed in school, do you have any suggestions on how to manage these issues?

    Louisse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise - I just saw your post...managing rising tuition is a challenge for sure and something most have no control over. Perhaps a different question is how can I get the education I need, relevant to the market place that is within my budget...and remember this important career success insight: it's more about the results I get than what I know.

      Delete

Post a Comment